The St. Mary's neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) offers state-of-the-art technology as well as comfortable, private rooms for families to bond - creating the perfect environment for our tiniest patients.
Some features include:
- Rooms designed for families with multiples
- Respite spaces in NICU and our Ronald McDonald Family Room®
- Faster, more efficient lab testing equipment
- High-tech Giraffe® Omnibeds
- Room for up to 38 fragile newborns at a time
Our neonatologists (doctors who are experts in caring for critically ill newborns) are onsite 24/7. NICU nurses, respiratory therapists and other caregivers support babies’ growth and development and also teach families how to care for their newest members.
St. Mary’s also serves as a regional referral center. Hospitals throughout south-central Wisconsin turn to our NICU experts when they need advice about a patient. Newborns are often transferred to St. Mary’s via helicopter or our specially equipped ambulance.