In 2012, St. Mary’s opened its all-new, expanded Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). The space is 3x larger than the previous unit; includes state-of-the-art technology; and provides comfort, quiet and privacy—an optimal environment for our tiniest patients.
- Rooms designed for families with multiples
- Respite spaces in NICU and our Ronald McDonald Family Room®
- Faster, more efficient lab testing equipment
- High-tech Giraffe® Omnibeds
- Room for up to 38 fragile newborns at a time
We provide advanced medical care for about 500 fragile newborns each year. Our neonatologists (doctors who are experts in caring for critically ill newborns) are onsite 24/7. NICU nurses, respiratory therapists and other caregivers support babies’ growth and development and also teach families how to care for their fragile child.
St. Mary’s also serves as a regional referral center. Hospitals throughout south-central Wisconsin turn to our NICU experts when they need advice about a patient or wish to transfer a newborn to St. Mary’s via helicopter or our specially equipped ambulance.